Friday 18 October 2013

Leviticus 12-15 of mildew, fungus and skin disease

Leviticus 12-15

Cleanliness is next to impossible it seems, there are many rules here about clean and unclean in these few chapters,
Among the rules are purification after childbirth chapter 12 – which I decline to comment on.
Skin disease covers most of chapter 13 – Leprosy is a highly contagious disease which is a real danger that humanity has had to face for centuries .
Being a bit thin on top I like verse 40 – If a man loses his hair, he is still clean though he is bald.
The rest of chapter 13 is concerned with mildew and fungal infection in clothes – perhaps this is connected with the theory that the death of the first born in Egypt may have been connected to eating damaged food as there was not good food left.
Chapter 14 concerns what happens if one is cured of leprosy – Jesus instructs lepers to follow these instructions when he healed them.

Chapter 15 is about bodily discharges. Given that these are usually quite icky I think I’ll ignore this. A.J Jacobs in his book “My year of living Biblically” got into rather hot water when he tried to follow verse 19! 

Verse 19 is referred to in another question in the open letter to Dr Laura. 
I have to say that I honestly don't know, but since I am single it does not bother me. I don't actually suppose that this law ever really applied to strangers in any case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment