Friday 18 April 2014

! Kings 6 Building the temple

1 Kings 6

480 years after Israel entered the promised land, and 520 years since Moses led Israel out of Egypt, and the 4th year of Solomon's reign, construction began of the temple of God.

That is slightly longer than the time it took Tesco (Supermarket chain) to get planning permission in Ilkley (where I live) for a new store.

The mid part of the chapter describes the temple, I always think that a picture paints a thousand words - so if you want to try and picture it - try 
http://www.3ds.com/blog/draftsight/architecture-and-engineering-feats-before-2d-cad/king-solomons-temple-model/
It is a 3d rendered model of the temple but since the original is not around for inspection, I don't think I can gainsay what is shown!

I think Solomon rather went to town overlaying pretty much everything with gold  
Though having said that I do know that some rich folk GET GIVEN gold plated versions of the latest and greatest top end smartphones while we spend hard earned money on mere plastic versions. 
Dear HTC/Samsung/LG/Apple/Smartphone manufacturer - if you feel like giving me a brand new 24 carat gold plated flagship mobile communications device.
Come to think of it - Google, I rather like the idea of a gold plated Google gkass and the next Nexus when you get around to it.  I'd really appreciate it and say something particularly nice about you on the internet then donate them to some needy cause ('cause I really need a gold plated phone, only joking)

The temple took 7 years to complete, which may seem remarkable in this day and age, but remember they worked much faster back then! (I "borrowed" the joke from Humphrey Littleton and the radio show "I'm Sorry I Haven't a clue" before I get hate messages from builders!)

Having said that - so far Tesco in Ilkley have been 3 years since they got the planning permission and so far they have only made a few (Very small) holes on the site, so a Tesco in Ilkley could well take longer to build than the temple of Solomon (and not be anywhere near as impressive or covered in bling!)




No comments:

Post a Comment