Monday 27 October 2014

Psalm 4 With strings attached

Psalm 4

The reason for the title on this is that in italics in my bible it says "For the director of music. With Stringed instruments. A Psalm of David" before this chapter starts in earnest

No idea on the original tune, but then again it probably sounds different in Hebrew anyway!

This chapter/Psalm sounds a bit weird to me - is it written from David's point of view or from God's point of view?

The Psalm starts "Answer me when I call on you my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress and have mercy on me and hear my prayer." 

So far so good - this sound like David praying that God will hear him - but it goes on 
"How long will you people turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods"

Is this a response of God or is David seeking glory? 

Know that the LORD has set apart his faithful servant for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him.

Is this David being holier than thou? The LORD hears when I call to him.
One of my friends has a mug at home that says "Jesus loves you - But I'm his favourite" -this verse put me in mind of that motto.

Some versions of the Bible have verse 4 Tremble and do not sin, others have In your anger do not sin.
If you lie awake at night we are advised to search our hearts and be silent - apparently noise will happen when I do drop off as people tell me that I snore!

Many people today seek prosperity - there is a branch of theology called the prosperity gospel I do not necessarily agree with this "God loves me and gave me a (name item here) and if you believe he will also make you rich and wealthy and give you a nice car/holiday home/whatever." God can do that but for me a better blessing is that God's face shines on me/us and our hearts are filled with joy in whatever circumstances we find ourselves in.

As I write this there are many Christian believers and agencies (as well as secular organisations I admit) working to help sufferers of the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa - these people put their lives at risk, they may not be in a happy place, but one British nurse who caught the disease and was transported back to the UK for treatment has now gone back of his own choice to support the work. I do not know if this man is a Christian by profession, but I admire his courage and willingness to help in this desperate situation, and to do so cheerfully.

In the last few decades we have largely had peace in Western Europe which is something we take for granted, however this psalm written by David, a man of war finishes

"In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety" 



No comments:

Post a Comment