Sunday 12 March 2017

Proverbs 2 Benefits of Wisdom

Proverbs 2

It has been said that the difference between knowledge and wisdom can be found in the tomato.
Knowledge says that the tomato is a fruit, wisdom says "Don't put it in a fruit salad"!

Having told my joke for the day, lets have a look at the chapter

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 
turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding.
Indeed if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.

I find it interesting that wisdom and knowledge are not handed out on silver platters, they take effort and perseverance and habit to cultivate.
Jesus used similar language about the kingdom of God - we will get to this when we get to the gospels.

Wisdom is a gift from God, according tot he book of proverbs. 

Verse 7 in interesting - I'm not sure I agree totally with this - 
He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.

I think the book of Job shows that this is not true in all circumstances?

Those who are wise, just, fair and honest - paths that are good.

Wise people avoid the ways of wicked men who have left straight paths and walk in dark ways delighting in doing wrong.

Wise people are safe from the adulterous woman - I don't think this only means women here, I think there is a moral degeneracy that it is wise to avoid.
It is not my place to pass judgement on how people live their lives, but those who seek to break families and destroy people.......

I will try my best to seek out wisdom, understanding, truth and justice.
Try to walk in the ways of the good and keep to the paths of the righteous.
I'll have to see how it pans out, but I'll at least find out with a good conscience! 


No comments:

Post a Comment