Friday 16 February 2018

Proverbs 10 Wisdom and folly

Proverbs 10

There are some of the proverbs in this chapter that I wish were really happening as fast as I would like, but things are rarely that cut and dried.
They are recorded as the proverbs of King Solomon - perhaps the richest and most prosperous king in the history of ancient Israel.

The chapter is a contrast between wisdom and folly, here are the ones I have some thoughts about, you can decide on the others if you read the chapter.

Lets start with the first 2 shall we?
A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son brings grief to his mother.

Why should a mother not share in the fathers joy, and why should the father not share the mothers grief?

Ill gotten gains have no lasting value, but righteousness delivers from death.
I don't see this really in the history of martyrs and those who think that blowing themselves up in the name of Jihad or holy war, personally I don't think taking of lives is ever righteous.

These are 2 that I really would like to see more evidence of in the news!

Unfortunately one of the ones that really gets my goat is the next one - there are some forms of very unpleasant Christians who will point to this "The LORD does not let the righteous go hungry, but he thwarts the craving of the wicked"
Some people, who I really don't agree with, would point to this verse to claim that those suffering starvation and want are under God's judgement.
"Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth" is another one
I don not believe that being in need or want is any justification to declare that somebody is under judgement from God.
I'm rather of the opinion that if we, who are not in want or need, and not poor, should spread the wealth and share what we have.
I'm not good at this, there is a lot more I could do, so perhaps I'm a bit hypocritical in that my actions don't follow my words as much as they should.

This chapter carries on with similar sentiments - for the good things are good, for the wicked things go badly - I wish this were the case always, hopefully in the long run this may well be the case.
The "prosperity Gospel" that I alluded to earlier that teaches that God blesses the righteous with whatever they want on earth, and if you have nothing it stands to reason it is because God is angry or upset with them.
The Jesus I follow said "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth can destroy and thieves steal, instead store up treasures in heaven."
The bible also says whoever gives even a glass of water to the thirsty will surely have a reward in heaven.

Read the chapter, see what you think, I'd like it to be true.



No comments:

Post a Comment