Wednesday 4 February 2015

Psalm 45 Wedding Psalms?

Psalm 45

This is another Psalm of the Sons of Korah, another maskil, this one is a wedding song.

I assume on a superficial reading this is written from the brides perspective.

My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king, my tongue is the pen of a skilful writer.
You are the most excellent of men and your lips have been anointed with grace, since God has blessed you forever.

This is all rather stirring stuff - it goes on about the king girding his sword, presumably buckling his swash (though this is not in the version I'm reading - it should be!) and clothing himself in splendour and majesty, riding forth victoriously in the cause of truth, humility and justice.

Meanwhile the bride is advised to forget he people and her fathers house and let the king be enthralled by her beauty.

I guess that I am really not the most romantic person in the world, and I probably should not say that this psalm really has not inspired me.

If you are inspired by this Psalm feel free to comment and share what inspires you about it.......

Tune in next time for  a hopefully more inspiring Psalm - I've peeked ahead and the next one is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment