Tuesday 12 January 2016

Psalm 106 a history song

Psalm 106

First things first - sorry for the lack of posts recently - things have been happening in my private life (more later), I hope now to increase my pace again.

So - Psalm 106 
The Psalm starts with a command  - 
Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD for he is good; his love endures forever.

Followed by a question - 
Who can proclaim the mighty acts of the LORD, or fully proclaim his praise?
Blessed are those who act justly, who always do what is right.

And a request - 
Remember me, LORD, when you show favour to your people, come to my aid when you save them that I may may enjoy the prosperity of your chosen ones, 
that I may share your in the joy of your nation, and join your inheritance in giving praise.

Unfortunately for us and the rest of this Psalm none of us are very good at doing this as the rest of the Psalm (and the Bible so far has illustrated!)

The Psalm mentions some of the rather less than sensible things that the Israelites did - such as, within days of hearing the 10 commandments the people broke the first 2! 

The Psalm finishes with a request and a final declaration - 
Save us, LORD our God, and gather us from the nations, that we might give thanks to your holy name and glory in your praise.

Praise be ti the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting.
Let all the people say "Amen" (Hebrew for So be it) 

Praise the LORD.

We believe that God did and does show mercy to those who turn to him 

If I may take the opportunity to pay a tribute at this point to my grandparents, Doreen and Ron who both died - my Grandmother in November and Grandfather in December.

Both Nan and Grandad were lifelong Christians and they taught me a lot about and shaped my faith significantly. They served in many roles in church, including Grandad using his (considerable) talent in music and Nan led a lot of groups and contributed to the upkeep and mission of the church.
They were married for 66 years -and died just over a month apart.

I am honoured to be related to these remarkable people of faith and hope that I might make such a contribution to the life of God's Holy people.

Into your hands of God I give you Ron and Doreen - In the sure and certain hope of everlasting life.




No comments:

Post a Comment