Saturday 23 January 2016

Psalm 108 a pre dawn psalm

Psalm 108

This Psalm is attributed to David and is a song

"My heart, O God, is steadfast;
I will sing and make music with all my soul.
Awake, harp and lyre! 
I will awaken the dawn"

I don't know about you - but pre dawn raucous music is not my ideal when it comes to waking up.
As a gentleman, I  tend to avoid waking other people with my trombone playing! I've heard it is not a recognised way of making friends! 

One thing that historically those in holy orders do is get up in the middle of the night to worship God 
It is, actually not such a bad thing to attempt if you do wake up early - don't worry about what happened yesterday or will happen today - spend some time giving thanks and pondering what is going right in your life

David will praise God among the nations, sing of God among the people because his love is higher than the sky and his faithfulness extends even further 

God 's glory extends beyond to fill the earth, God's right hand saves his people.

In Psalm 24 we read that the earth belongs to God, in this Psalm God claims his ownership.

The lands of Israel Gilead, Manesseh (East of the river Jordan) 
Ephraim is the helmet of God
Judah is the Sceptre

Surrounding nations play a part 
Stephen Fry quotes this Psalm in the title of one of his books - Moab is my Washpot 
Sorry Stephen, I have not read your book, and knowing your antipathy to the Christian faith it is equally unlikely that you will read my blog either - so fair's fair.

God claims authority over Moab (washpot), Edom (shoe rack), God shouts in triumph over the Philistines 

David was one of the most powerful and influential kings of Israel, yet he barely knew any peace in his rule having faced civil unrest and also external threats to his country.
David was as aware as anybody that human help is worthless, but with God we can gain the victory.
David talks about trampling down our enemies

Personally I would like to see enemies such as hunger, poverty, injustice and violence and hatred crushed and trampled rather than physical people.
.





No comments:

Post a Comment