Sunday 6 March 2016

Psalm 111 The fear of the LORD

Psalm 111

I don't know about you, but I get excited when something amazing happens - hearing about the mighty acts of God and seeing the wonderful creation.

Praise God,

I will extol the LORD with all my heart in the council of the upright and in the assembly.

Great are the works of the LORD, they are pondered by all who delight in them.

One of the commands that is repeated through the Bible is to remember - in the passover it is commanded to remember and tell of the acts of God, in communion as Christians we are told to remember the death and resurrection of Jesus.

The Psalm ends with a statement of faith  "He provided redemption for his people, he ordained his covenant forever - holy and awesome is his name."

And with a famous quote - "Fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise"

The word "fear" I think has changed in meaning over the years, I don't think it means "be afraid" I think perhaps a better word would be "respect" - I respect fire and electricity for their potential to overwhelm me, yet the one keeps me warm and the other allows me to write this blog!


One is no fool to respect the creator and sustainer of life, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment