Sunday 18 September 2016

Psalm 140 Protect me from bad people

Psalm 140

This is another Psalm of David.
It starts with a request to God listing a number of groups of people from whom he would like to be separated from,

I am writing this blog in the aftermath of the UK referendum on EU membership and the lead up to the USA presidential election (which seems to have been going on for EVER - how do the Americans keep up that level of enthusiasm?) but I digress.
The point I want to make is that in the EU referendum in the UK and the USA elections people have (sometimes rather long) lists of people who do the country harm.
In this Psalm, David lists the people who really cause harm - I don't think the lists from the referendum and election campaign are quite the same!

Evildoers
The violent
Those who devise evil plans
warmongers
Serpent tongued with poison on their lips
Wicked
The arrogant
Those who would trap the innocent

Like David, I don't think I can avoid all these people and call out to God
"I Say to the LORD, you are my God, 
Hear my cry for mercy, Sovereign LORD, my strong deliverer, my shield in times of battle"

David goes on to ask
"Do not grant the wicked their desires, or let their plans succeed."

"Those who surround me proudly rear their heads, may the mischief of their lips engulf them.
May burning coals fall on them, may they be thrown into the fire, into the pit, never to rise"

"May slanderers not be established in the land, may disaster hunt down the wicked"

On my more cynical days I can fully understand David's point here. However on my better days I hope to aspire to higher levels of tolerance and kindness, believing that it is never too late to change and become a nice person.

Jesus tells us to love our enemies and do good to those who would not do good to you. 
The burning coals reference in the Psalm puts me in mind of a proverb - "If your enemy is hungry or thirsty give him some food and water - in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head and God will bless you" - not as I once heard a misquote "if you enemy is hungry give him some food THEN pour burning coals on his head" I don't think that God would really approve of that version!

Funny, the list of people David sought rescue from did not include immigrants, benefit claimants, foreigners, or corporate tax evaders! - I wonder when and why our national priorities changed?





No comments:

Post a Comment