Wednesday 21 September 2016

Psalm 142 Who do you call?

Psalm 142

This is another Psalm of David - written when he was living in hiding in the cave.

Probably not the best of circumstances - so unsurprisingly this is not among the more cheerful in the book of Psalms!

In this Psalm David does not suffer in silence - 
I cry aloud to the LORD. 
I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy
I pour out before him my complaint, 
before him I tell my trouble when my spirit grows faint within me.

If there is one thing that is important here, with God I don't have to bottle my feelings - There is permission here to unload your feelings and cares onto God 

The Psalm continues with recognising that God is not aloof from the situation, but is fully aware of what is going on

It is you who watch over my way in the path where I walk
People have hidden a snare for me, look and see, there is not one at my right hand.
No one is concerned for me.
I have no refuge, no one cares for my life.

I say (to God) You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.

When David has no where else to turn, he turns to God.

People say that faith is a crutch - yet if you have a broken leg, a crutch is extremely useful to aid mobility (as Bear Grylls puts it) 

David's foes while he was out hiding were very strong and powerful, and had cornered David.

As we know from the story of David, God did liberate him and raise him as king of Israel.
David wrote a lot of praise psalms after this episode in his life.
God did answer his prayers at the end of the Psalm

Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name.
Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment