Wednesday 5 November 2014

Psalm 7 Concerning Cush

Psalm 7

This Psalm is headed A shiggaion (unknown word) of David, Which he sang to the LORD concerning Cush, a Benjaminite.

It appears that Cush is a relative of king Saul who accused David of violence and usurping royal authority.

The sections of the psalm seem to change from victorious to limping along - 

Lord my God, I take refuge in you, save and deliver me from all who pursue me or they will tear me apart like a lion and rup me to pieces with no one to rescue me.

the second section goes 

Lord me God. If I have done this and there is guilt on my hands - If I have repaid my ally with evil or without cause have robbed my foe- then let my enemy pursue and overtake me, let him trample my life to the ground and make me sleep in the dust.

However David is confident of his innocence before God as he calls on God to rouse his anger against his enemies rage and to decree Justice.


I like that David is humble enough to accept that if he is guilty then he deserves to be trampled in the ground.

One of the themes of the Bible is Justice, somebody far wiser than I once said "True peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice" 

The psalm ends with David giving thanks to God because of his righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment