Wednesday 3 June 2015

Psalm 71 Faith that lasts a lifetime

Psalm 71

On what do we base our life foundation? Jesus talked about wise and foolish builders making wise or silly changes on foundations.

If all else goes down, what do I have left? 

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame....
Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go.

God is not only a refuge, and a rock, verse 2 talks about God in his righteousness rescuing and delivering - giving commands to save his cared for one - delivering from the grasp of the evil and cruel.

Personally I first became a Christian (Decided to follow Jesus and ask him to be Lord of my life) when I was aged 9 - it is now 34 years later and I still do my best to follow his teachings and examples. (And all too often doing it very badly!)

The Psalmist has also had faith in God from a young age, having relied on God from his birth and before, and because of this he will praise God.

Have you ever come across the book by Bill Bryson "A short history of nearly everything" which is pretty much a history of science as we know it. 
When I came across the introduction to this book it blew me away - using science he explains how unlikely it is that we are alive using terms like wonder, under-appreciated, and miracle.

I am also lucky enough to have parents and grand parents who are Christian, my grandfather and grandmother are now in their 80s but still follow the God of their youth - verse 9 of the Psalm talks about God not casting the writer away when they are old, and not forsaking when earthly strength fails

The psalmist here has always got hope (I wonder why that word is used not faith?) and will praise God more and more.

Sometimes I struggle to elucidate the things God has done in my life, yet God has been teaching me his ways, and I expect to still be learning and talking about what I have learned for a long time to come.

Verse 20 describes that he has seen his share of bitter troubles, yet God sustains and restores him.

The Psalm finishes with praising God on musical instruments and being so full that shouting for joy is a very real possibility.

I admit that all too often I don't feel like shouting for joy, perhaps I should!


No comments:

Post a Comment