Monday 17 March 2014

2 Samuel 7 Does God need a permanent home?

2 Samuel 7

David, having bought the Ark of the covenant (and presumably the rest of the tabernacle with it), to Jerusalem wonders if it is right that David should live in a nice palace build of cedar while the presence of God on earth is in a tent? David decided to build a permanent dwelling place for God in Jerusalem.
David asked Nathan the prophet if this was right and he said "go ahead", but during the night God spoke to Nathan saying "Are you the one to build me a house? since I bought Israel out of Egypt I have not required a permanent dwelling, I moved and the Israelites moved with me, and I never said to any I chose to shepherd my people "build me a house""

God told Nathan to tell David that he took him from the pasture tending the flock and appointed him to rule Israel. God has been with David every step of the way and destroyed all his enemies before him.

God then promises to make David's name great, among the greatest names in all the earth. God promises to build the house of David and a lineage that would be truly illustrious. Odd really that David started the chapter by wanting to honour God with a permanent temple - God has turned the tables completely and builds David's house!

When David has died, his son will build the temple for God and God would treat him as a son.

On hearing this king David went and prayed to God 

David is full of wonder, gratitude and thanks in this prayer and he asks God to fulfil his promise.
it is in verses 18-28.

I have to say that asking God to fulfil his promises seems to me rather presumptuous, though perhaps the act of asking God is a way to align my will to God's will and then in seeking the promise God has made I may in some small way be instrumental in bringing it about? Or perhaps It would encourage me to recognise the promise when it does arrive?

Either way - lesson for me here (If nobody else) "God please fulfil your promises you made to me though the bible and other sources" 



No comments:

Post a Comment