Monday 19 January 2015

Psalm 39 Self control

Psalm 39

Trying to live a good life is often difficult and takes a lot of self control.

This Psalm reflects on this a bit - In the presence of bad people David determined to not be led into saying anything unworthy - he decided that he would say nothing either good or bad but to stay silent.

However bottling it all up is not healthy for very long - David's unrest increased.

According to scientists the universe is something like 13.8 Billion years old, I am currently 42 - so the universe has been around some 328 million times older than I am (which won't make me any happier next time I am asked my age group and I have to tick the next box forward!)

David asks God to remind him how short a time he has on earth to do the right thing - I feel this is the right time to quote from Russell Crowe from the film Gladiator - "Remember what we do here echoes in eternity". so lets do our best to do the right thing now.

David felt that God was angry with him for not speaking out.

It is interesting that David felt that living with God was like living in a foreign world. 
Later on in the book of Hebrews, these people are described as being true citizens of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment