Tuesday 20 January 2015

Psalm 40 God lifts us up where we belong

Psalm 40

"I waited patiently for the LORD, he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me from the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire.
He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,  a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in him"

Archimedes once said that given a firm place to stand and a long lever he could move the earth,

David declares that the one who trusts in God is blessed.
In the news this week the UK Prime minister argued that making fun and ridiculing deeply held faith was all fun and part of freedom of speech. I think in response to this we should be prepared - at length if necessary - to discuss the wonders of God's deeds - this Psalm says that they are too many to declare. If you want me to put up with your derision I'll explain why you are wrong!

The Psalm continues - that God desires righteous living and to do his will than sacrifices and rituals.
As somebody wittier than I said - "Going to church does not make one a Christian any more than going to McDonalds makes you  a burger"

In the midst of this David feels poor and needy, requiring God to think of us and helping and delivering us.



No comments:

Post a Comment