Monday 26 January 2015

Psalm 42 Thirsty - for what?

Psalm 42

This is written by the sons of Korah, It is a Maskil (not sure what one of those is).

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you my God, my soul thirsts for God, for the living God.

It seems the Psalmist has not been to worship God for a while and he is missing the relationship.

Yet in verse 5 - we get "Why my soul are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God for I will yet praise him, my saviour and my God".

There is an element of will involved in faith - certainly at times the only thing that kept me going in the faith I hold was a stubborn determination to not break my promise to God who seemed very distant at the time.
The next verse is "My soul is downcast within me, therefore I will remember you"

The recurring theme in here is "Why my soul are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God for I will yet praise him, my saviour and my God".

I guess that I'm not likely to come up with better advice that this today - so I suggest it as a spiritual exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment