Saturday 9 May 2015

Psalm 63 Seeking God - finding God - resting in God

Psalm 63

Some people postulate that God made us in his image with a "God shaped hole" - that feeling that there must be something more to life.

In this Psalm, written in the deserts of Judah (presumably while David was being chased by king Saul) 

"You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you:
I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you in a dry and parched land where there is no water."

When separated from God - there is something essential missing, described here in terms of thirst.

"I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods: with singing lipes my mouth will praise you."

When God is present, David feels joy and nourishment for the soul - the finest of foods compared to thirsting for even a drop of water in the desert.

The comedian (and genius) Spike Milligan wrote a song about Australia which has the chorus
Australia, Australia we think of you each day 
Australia Australia at work or at play
We think of you in the morning 
and in the evening too
We even wake up at midnight, so that we can think of you!

The Psalm gives a similar honour to God - probably better than Australia for thinking of in the small hours of the night!

Some people count sheep, some ponder over the day, but some think of God and meditate even in bed.

Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you: your right hand upholds me.

Even here though, David is not unopposed - but safe in the assurance of God he knows in the end he will escape.




No comments:

Post a Comment