Tuesday 19 May 2015

Psalm 66 Shout to God with joy

Psalm 66

Those that know me will know that I don't do sports, at all. If somebody has the football on TV I'm tempted to go into another room and read a good book.
The soft spot I have for football, for example, is a swamp!

However have you ever heard the shout that erupts from a large crowd when their team scores a really good goal? The cheer that echoes around the town and can be heard for miles.

Something about this Psalm has the same feeling, but instead of our team scoring a goal we have the magnificent acts of a God who is involved in human events.

To a God who led his people through parted water on dry ground - twice!

All are invited to praise the God of Israel - this is great for me since I am not Jewish there is a warm inclusion and willingness to tell those who want to hear about the works of the God of Israel - even if they are not Jewish by birth.

Verse 10 talks about being tested by God and refined like silver. The garden was not always rosy.
It seems that the testing and refining included time in prison, forced labour "We went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance"

It would be very glib for me to talk about testing and refining if you are in a place that is not abundant or nice - passing through fire and water are not nice experiences. However it is the way that strength is added to metal - to turn valuable mineral ore into valuable, useful or beautiful finished items takes a lot of heat, bashing, heating, hammering, quenching, heating, hammering.....you get the gist.
If you are in a bad place my prayers are with you and for you in whatever situation you may be in.

I've mentioned before about the pilgrimage I did a few years ago - We arrived in Walsingham on Good Friday feeling weary and sore - the service on Friday evening is generally quiet and subdued.
Saturday night and the early hours of Easter Sunday morning however is a totally different feel - in the Easter Vigil we recall the resurrection of Jesus and the wonderful discovery that we arrived tired and sore on Friday, but Sunday brings us a level of joy that quite literally sets people dancing! (And in church too!) and the shout of Joy in a God who suffered the worst, overcame death and opens the doors of heaven itself makes me smile even now.

"Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me" as the Psalm ends

No comments:

Post a Comment