Sunday 5 January 2014

Joshua 22-24 Endgame? Or the beginning of the end game?

Joshua 22

Having helped their relatives during the take over of the land as they promised Moses, the armies of Reuben, Gad and half of Manesseh are given leave to return to their lands east of the river Jordan.

As the got to the river Jordan, the tribes built a very large alter by the side of the river, which really shocked the rest of the Israelites. So soon have these people left Joshua but they have started building alters- next thing they will be sacrificing their children and worshipping other gods.
The entire army of the rest of Israel join forces to confront their relatives.
They sent the son of the high priest, Phinehas, along with elders from each tribe to confront this act, so quick to abandon the law of God these people are going to defile the land. It would be much better for these people to live with the rest of the tribes - where they can be kept an eye on.

The tribes of Reuben, Gad and Manesseh then explain what they were actually saying - which basically is "in the future, your descendants may stop our descendants from worshipping God as they live on the wrong side of the river Jordan. This alter is a replica and is purely symbolic and will never be used for sacrifices. It is there to act as a witness - look we have a replica of your true alter, this is to show that we are of your faith".

War is then avoided and the crises is over.

Joshua 23

Joshua is now a very old man, and he makes one final speech to the people - basically saying carry on and claim the land that God has given you. Follow the Law of God and do not be seduced by the existing people in the land, to worship their gods. 

Joshua 24

Joshua's final address recaps the history of Israel from Abraham to the present day.

For me the crunch point is found in verse 14 -15 "Get rid of any other gods that you may have carried with you and serve only God. If this does not work for you or you find it inconvenient, choose today who you will serve. As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD"

The Israelites then enter into a kind of "Oh no you won't serve God"  - "Oh yes we will" exchange.
Eventually Joshua accepts their word and dismisses the assembly.

Joshua was buried when he died in the area of Israel that was his inheritance. Joseph, whose bones were bought through the exodus, was buried in Shechem in the land that Jacob bought 400 years before.
Eleazer the high priest after Aaron was buried in his family land (one of the Levite towns) 

While the old people lived, Israel remained faithful to God and followed his law. 

Joshua seems to have passed by fairly quickly there is quite a lot of violence but I think for me the things I like in the book are that there is enough honour that, for the most part, Israel kept their promises, even when that was not very convenient (Shuch as Rahab and Gibeon).
Along with the challenge "Choose today who you will serve" one way or another pretty much everybody serves something or somebody - for instance one day a week, the government take my salary in taxes, so I serve the government, I try to do my best for my employer at work, so I serve my employer, but I hope that my primary service is to God and the others follow my service of him. I try not to serve money, addiction, technology and so many other tempting masters. It is a choice I make - I don't think it does anybody any harm, and if there is no God, well frankly this life is it and when I am gone that is it, all I will have wasted are some minor comforts and time and I'll never know.

For me faith works, though it is work to follow God,  I hope the rewards are worth it both here and now and in the future,




No comments:

Post a Comment