Monday 16 March 2015

Psalm 51 When it all goes wrong

Psalm 51 

This Psalm was written by King David when he has been spotted by God of adultery and murder, recorded in the books of Kings.

God sent the prophet Nathan to accuse David and Nathan told what is probably the first parable in the Bible. About a rich man stealing his poor neighbors treasured lamb to give a meal to his guest.

In churches today (especially the Catholic tradition) there is a sacrament (where heaven touches earth is my definition of that word)    called reconciliation (or confession), there is something liberating about confessing what you have done wrong - somehow it loses some of its grip over you.

In this Psalm David confesses that he has done wrong and begs God to make him clean again, David's sinful nature is at odds with God's love of right and justice.
David (and many others who try and follow God) find that the wrong we do separate us from God and make us dirty and unclean.

David does not expect to get off without consequence, in verse 7 he says "Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean, wash me and I will be whiter than snow".

I think I can echo Davids prayer in verses 10 - 12 "Create in me a pure heart oh God and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me"

Christians believe that Jesus came into the world as God's son to take the punishment for our sins and wrongdoings, and offers us forgiveness.

Having received forgiveness from God, David will show other sinners the ways of God and use his lips to worship him.
"Open my lips, LORD, and my mouth shall proclaim your praise"

God does not want ritual, burned offerings or hypocrites, he wants a person willing to admit they have done wrong, with a broken spirit and contrite heart. God will NEVER, EVER turn you away.

I'd like to finish with 2 examples - one is from a movie, I cannot remember which one either "The Shawshank redemption" or "the Green Mile" where a prisoner points out the the first person Jesus got into heaven was not Peter, or James or John, but the condemned man on the cross next to him who prayed "Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom" and Jesus replied "I tell you the truth, this day you will be with me in paradise" 

The other one is from a hymn that we sometimes sing "To God be the Glory" which has a verse "The vilest offender who truly believes, that moment, from Jesus, a pardon receives"  

No comments:

Post a Comment