Monday 13 April 2015

Psalm 59 Fortress God

Psalm 59

This is another of David's Psalms written at the time when Saul the king had people staking out David's house. His wife, Saul's daughter helped him escape.

The Psalm starts with a prayer that God would deliver David from his enemies, defend him from attackers and evildoers.

David, in verse 6 describes his attackers returning in the evening snarling like dogs, spewing violence and lies from their mouths thinking "Who can hear us?"

God laughs at these people, the God who David trusts and watches for.

I don't much like verse 10 - God will go before me and will let me gloat over those who slander me. I would rather we all found common cause and we would not be enemies in the first place!

Verse 14 echoes verse 6 - they return at evening snarling like dogs, but now their teeth have been pulled and they can only howl for food.

David's worldview is changed by God's strength and constant protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment