Saturday 25 April 2015

Psalm 61 Long distance prayers

Psalm 61

This is another of David's Psalms for accompaniment on stringed instruments.

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.

From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint.
I'm not sure how widely travelled king David was - these days with air travel it is possible to be on the other side of the world in as little as a day. 
It is good to know that God can still hear prayers when I am the other side of the world.

David continues with what to me seems an odd request - Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.

David wishes he could dwell in God's house forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

David asks and the Psalm finishes - 
Increase the days of the kings life, his years for many generations.

May he be enthroned in God's presence forever; appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.

Then I will ever sing in praise of your name and fulfil my vows day after day.

Is it me here or did king David die? Admittedly he was quite old when he did die.
Perhaps this is another looking forward to Jesus - the descendent of David who Christians believe is enthroned in the presence of God forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment