Saturday 4 April 2015

Psalm 56 What threat are mere mortals?

Psalm 56

According to the introduction to this Psalm, it was written by David when the Philistines had seized him in Gath.

The Psalm starts with a request for God's mercy - note David does not expect mercy from the Philistines (who were Israel's continual enemy) who are in hot pursuit and press their attack all day long.

Having read through the history of David, I don't think that anybody could call him a coward, yet David admits to being afraid and when he is frightened he makes a concious effort to put his trust in God - this allows David to overcome his fear.

In God I trust and am not afraid, what can mere mortals do to me?

David's enemies twist his words, plan for his ruin. They conspire, they lurk, they watch David's steps hoping he will drop his guard and allow them to take his life.

David asks God to record his misery, list my tears on your scroll.
David is confident that God has noticed and recorded his suffering at the hands of the unjust.
I'm sure God still does this.
Because of this record the enemies will turn back when we call for help and we know that God is for us.

Verse 10-11 probably has some special resonance if you read the original Hebrew (which I cannot - if you are an expert in Hebrew studies perhaps you can explain!) In God whose word I praise, In the LORD who word I praise - In God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?

Jesus told his believers "Do not fear those who can only kill the body", rather that we should fear and respect "the one who can condemn body and soul in hades"
Today is Easter Saturday, tomorrow Christians will celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. Jesus suffered the absolute worst at the hand of those who can only kill the body, and it did not affect his soul.
In fact he could almost have quoted Obi-Wan from Star Wars "You cannot win, if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"

The Psalm ends with David saying I am under vows to you, my God; I will present my thank offerings to you.

For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.

If I may digress slightly I'd like to share briefly a blog post from a namesake of mine.

Mark and his wife Sarah and thier children live in Uganda where Mark is an engineer looking after the aircraft for Mission Aviation Fellowship. Today In their latest post they mention that the UK Foreign office have given advice for UK citizens to consider their actions carefully due to high risk of terrorism and attack by Al Shabab (A Somali militant group)

I pray for Mark, Sarah and their family and the many other believers in this and similar situations, firstly for their safety but also that the threat of this group who can destroy the body will not adversely affect their work and witness.

I hope you have a very happy Easter and since it is Already Sunday as near as Turkey I leave you with an Easter traditional greeting -

Hallelujah, Christ is risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment