Thursday 9 July 2015

Psalm 81 Sing for Joy!

Psalm 81

There is  a recurring theme in the Bible, not in every chapter but quite often - Rejoice

This psalm starts off with the injunction "Sing for joy to God our strength; Shout aloud to the God of Jacob!
Begin the music, strike the timbrel, play the melodious harp and lyre. Sound the trumpet....

In other words "Strike up the band"!
I bought the trumpet in as in the version of the Bible I have with me it talks about sounding the ram's horns at the regular lunar festivals, but as a trombonist I thought it deserves including in with the "lesser" stringed, woodwind and percussion instruments!

The Psalm mentions that the full moon and new moon festivals were a command from God.

"I heard an unknown voice say - I removed the burden from their shoulders, their hands were set free from the basket.
In your (Emphasis is mine) distress you called and I rescued you"

Interesting change of tense here - God removed Their burden, but when you called out I rescued YOU.

Interesting I think here that God cares to listen to and rescue "you"

I'm writing this from a hotel room in Shanghai, China, and during this trip I noticed a couple of things - I have sold a lot of my information to Google in return for a lot of things including e-mail, this blog is hosted by Google and you tube (my channel is the Eccentric Milliner if you have not seen it!) - but Google are not in China - getting my e-mail and so much I take for granted is a real pain! (I'm using a VPN to access this site)
One thing I also noticed - prayer works here just as well as it does when I can freely access Google, and no VPN is needed to talk to God!

The psalm continues with a plea, if you would only listen and hear me, my people, don't go chasing other gods.

I am the LORD your God who bought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.

There is another theme that occurs here as well as several other places - 
"If my people would only listen to me, would only follow my ways....."
You would be fed with the finest of wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.




No comments:

Post a Comment