Tuesday 4 August 2015

Psalm 91 Living with God

Psalm 91

This is one of my favourite Psalms,
In the opening 2 verses 4 Hebrew names are used for God - in the New Jerusalem Bible they are used

Whoever dwells in teh shelter of the Most High (Elyon) will rest in the shadow of the almighty(Shaddai).
I will say of the LORD (Yahweh) he is my refuge and my fortress,
my God in whom I trust.

Interesting fact, Satan quoted from this Psalm when he was tempting Jesus -
verse 11 - For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways: they will lift you up in their hands so you will not strike your foot against a stone.

In the Psalm God saves from the snare of the fowler, and the deadly pestilence....
His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence or plague.

That is not to say that we are immune from plague or pestilence (or war if it comes to that), but faith and trust in an almighty God means that we don't have to fear them.

I was heartened to hear of nurses and doctors going to East Africa during the recent ebola epidemic, taking as few risks as possible, but helping out as best they could despite the risks.

There was a British nurse who contracted Ebola. He recovered and went back out there.

Or the German politician in the news today who has invited to refugees into his house and helped them to find work locally. After he met them at church.

Because he loves me, says the LORD, I will rescue him, I will protect him for he acknowledges my name. 

I will be with him in trouble. I will deliver him and honour him, with long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.

Wouldn't it be a really inspiring lead if our politicians, instead of moaning and preaching at us, used their (ample) salaries and (state subsidised) housing to help refugees and actually get to know these people, perhaps give a meal to the hungry?

No comments:

Post a Comment