Sunday 16 August 2015

Psalm 96 - Modern music

Psalm 96

Sing to the LORD, a new song; Sing to the LORD all the earth. Sing to the LORD, praise his name.

If there is one thing about Church and services that is controversial it is the music - for as long as there has been music in church - there has been complaints about music in church.
Music likes and dislikes are pretty much a matter of taste and what enthuses you may not excite me.

Personally I love many of the traditional hymns, but there is also a place for modern church music as well - the tradition of church music is one where changes are continual - there are some old hymns and chants that bore my socks off and there are some modern songs that leave me wanting a lot less!

One modern song, and sorry if this is one of your favourites is by Graham Kentrick and is called "Heaven is in my heart" - the sentiments and tune are (in my opinion) cringe worthy.
I am going to choose that song for that funeral - it'll literally be sung over my dead body!


Anyway, back to the Psalm!!

Proclaim his salvation day after day, declare his glory among the nations his marvellous deeds among all peoples.
For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise. He is to be feared above all gods.

Let me talk about that for just a moment - fearing God is not the same as being AFRAID of God.
I'll nick a bit from C.S. Lewis Narnia books - When Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are told about the great Aslan 
"Is- is he a man?" asked Lucy
"Aslan a man!" said Mr Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the woodand the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the sea. Don't you know who is the king of beasts? Aslan is a lion, the Lion, the great lion"
"Ooh!" Said Susan, "I'd though he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will dearie, and no mistake" Said Mrs Beaver, "If there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly"

In the books (which I have loved since I was at Primary School) Aslan is not safe, but he is good, just and fair.
Aslan is the image CS Lewis uses for Jesus in the books.

In the Psalm the gods of the nations are all just idols, but God has made the heavens.

Let the heavens rejoice, the the earth be glad.
Let the sea resound and all that is in it.
Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them;
Let all the trees of the forest sing for joy, let all creation rejoice before the LORD, for he comes,

he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness.

I expect my knees will be trembling a bit on that day - but then I'm (hopefully) not plain silly, nor (probably) braver than most!

No comments:

Post a Comment