Friday 14 August 2015

Psalm 94 The God of the Bible is vengeful?

Psalm 94

The LORD is a God who avenges - well you heard it here last - Richard Dawkins and his like have been saying it for years

But are they right?

In this Psalm God is asked to pay back the proud what they deserve.

How Long LORD will the wicked ,how long with the wicked be jubilant? They pour out arrogant words; all the evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your inheritance, they slay the widow and the foreigner, they murder the fatherless.

Personally I think people who go around doing this sort of thing are not very nice. Notice that foreigners, orphans and the vulnerable in society as his inheritance.

They say that God does not see them and takes no notice of what they do if he does.

If you think and believe that God does not care or see what you do I'd say all bets are off and the wickedest pits of human depravity can run rampant!

If God is against people like this, 

When I said, my foot is slipping your unfailing love, LORD, supported me.
When anxiety was great within me your consolation brought me joy.

In my experience the proud and arrogant are not likely to respect God but God welcomes with open arms those who are weak, humble and powerless.

No comments:

Post a Comment