Wednesday 8 June 2016

Psalm 120 Location, location

Psalm 120

This is titled a song of ascents (or a pilgrimage song) though it is not all that cheerful!

I call on the LORD in my distress and he answers me.
Save me, LORD, from lying lips and from deceitful tongues.

So far, fair enough I think, but the Psalm continues with what God does 

What will he do to you and what more besides, you deceitful tongue?
He will punish you with a warrior's sharp arrows, with burning coals of the broom bush.

Sorry - are broom bushes prone to turning into coals?

Then the Psalm continues with moaning about the neighbours!

Woe to me that I dwell in Meshek (Possibly a middle East version of somewhere like, for example, Mirfield?)  that I dwell among the tends of Kedar (Is that like Dewsbury?)
Before you comment Mirfield and Dewsbury are quite nice (in parts) 

I actually looked this up in some commentaries of the Bible and it seems that Meshek is a hostile tribe in the North somewhere and Kedar is a hostile tribe in the south, and these verses are not meant literally since Meshek and Kedar are actually nowhere near each other!

Too long have I lived among those who hate peace.
I am for peace; but when I speak they are for war.

This last bit is the sort of thing that I can imagine coming from the mouth of some mad warmongering dictator or insincere politician!
 I'd hope it was sincere but actions speak loud when you say this sort of thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment