Sunday 26 June 2016

Psalm 127 God the builder

Psalm 127

Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labour in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.

This has been a difficult week for me this week, on Thursday in a referendum my fellow countrymen voted to leave the EU (well actually it was more like 37% voted to leave and 27% did not vote) but the  "voters have spoken" and those who disagree are now told to shut up as the "country has decided" You may get the hint that I am part of the country that did not want to leave and woke on Friday to what I feared.

I find that this Psalm is difficult too - I am deliberately single, this is my choice and I have accepted that it is very unlikely that I will ever have children but the Psalm says 
Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him, 
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.

Interesting the use of the word "When" in this last verse!
As I say I don't have children and am unlikely to have children, and what is more at the age of 40 something I don't think if I had children today they would be the children born in my youth!

I think I'll consider the first part of the psalm - and pray that God builds my nation and guards my country so that we are not working in vain!

No comments:

Post a Comment