Thursday 16 June 2016

Psalm 123 Don't look down

Psalm 123

This is another pilgrimage Psalm 

I lift my eyes to you who sit enthroned in heaven.

I'm a bit confused by the next bit if truth be told - I don't agree with slavery!

As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, 
as the eyes of a female slave look to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he shows us his mercy.

Have mercy on us, LORD, have mercy on us, for we have endured no end of contempt.
We have endured no end of ridicule from the arrogant, of contempt from the proud.

I wonder at the requirement to look to the hand of a human, either hoping for reward or in fear of punishment.
Though the hand of a master craftsman showing his or her skills so that we can learn is something worth taking notice of.

There is an old song that I recall that has the line,
Father, I want to be with you and do the things you do.

One of the things Jesus and God do is free people from the tyranny of mental and physical slavery, now that is worth looking our for! 






No comments:

Post a Comment