Sunday 5 June 2016

Psalm 118 A Love that lasts - forever

Psalm 118

There are a number of chants and shanties that the military and sailors sing with a refrain, for example haul away - lets haul away together or songs that soldiers sing to help keep in step on a long march.

This Psalm strikes me as one to sing out while the Israelites were making the journey to Jerusalem to worship God at the temple -certainly the start of the Psalm 

Give thanks to the LORD for he is good - his love endures forever
Let Israel say - his love ensures forever
Let the priests say - his love endures forever
Let those who respect the LORD say - his love endures forever.

Apparently this is not out of some over-abundance of exuberance, the Psalmist has good reason for praising God

When hard pressed, I cried to the LORD; he bought me into a spacious place.

The LORD is with me; I wont be afraid of mere mortals - what can they do?
The phrase "The LORD is with me" now becomes the chant for the next bit 
The LORD is described as helper 
"It is better is now repeated" - It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in humans or princes.

The Psalm goes on a bit about being surrounded by enemies who are blown away by the grace and power of God .

Verse 22 of this Psalm is quoted by Jesus and St Peter "The stone the builders rejected has become that cornerstone; the LORD has done this and it is marvellous in our eyes"
The rejected stone is Jesus who has formed the keystone of Christianity.

There is a bit in verses 25 to 27 that puts me in mind of palm Sunday and Jesus entry into Jerusalem 
LORD, Save us (in Hebrew the word is "Hosannah")
LORD grant us success! - Blessed is he who comes int eh name of the LORD.
From the house of the LORD we bless you.
The LORD is God and has made his light shine on us.
With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession up to the alter.

The Psalm ends with 
You are my Goid and I will praise you, you are my God and I will exalt you.

So we end as we began- 

Give thenks to the LORD for he is good;
his love endures forever.

Apologoes for the delay in this post 

No comments:

Post a Comment