Wednesday 22 June 2016

Psalm 126 When god restores

Psalm 126

I'm going to let you in on a secret today - I don't always find it easy to be a Christian.

Some years ago, when I was at University I had a stage with - I hesitate to call it depression, as a lot of people have it a heck of a lot worse than me, call it a dark period or a sad time. I went so far as to try and ignore my faith and what I knew about God his presence and his spirit.

God actually met with me and restored my faith at a Christian Union meeting where the guest talker was talking about the outpouring of God's spirit called the "Toronto blessing" 
I asked for prayer from the speaker and the chaplain after the meeting and this psalm kind of reminds me of the feeling I got during and after the prayers - 

"When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dreamed.
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy."

I won't say it was quite that extreme, but I did feel a sense of God's presence and his peace, that today, nearly 20 years later, has not left me!

Then it was said among the nations, The LORD has done great things for us and we are filled with joy.

Restore our fortunes, LORD, like streams in the Negev (Desert).

The Psalm ends with an interesting expression - 
Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping carrying seed to sow , will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them

If you are in a hard place right now - you have my prayers. 
Remember - it may take some time, but things will work out for the best one way or another 

LORD, please be with those who are suffering and weeping now, please restore faltering faith, comfort those sowing acts of faith through tears.
Please hurry and bring a harvest of laughter.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment