Wednesday 10 December 2014

Psalm 23 - The Psalm everybody knows!

Psalm 23

There are a total of 150 psalms, and 149 of them are not Psalm 23. This is undoubtedly the best known of all the Psalms, you must have heard of it!

Following directly after the harrowing cry of that started Psalm 22, this is a pastoral psalm with comforting imagery.

The LORD is my Shepherd, I shall lack nothing
He leads me beside still waters  he restores my soul.

This Psalm puts me in mind of the first sight we have of the future king David - Samuel the prophet asked Jesse (David's father) "is this all your sons?" and is told - there is still the youngest, he is out in the fields tending the sheep.
David is sent for and comes running in "ruddy and handsome" is the description if I remember correctly.

At Christmas (just over 2 weeks away as I write this) the first people told of Jesus birth were shepherds watching over their flocks by night.
Jesus called himself the good shepherd.
As far as I understand it though , Shepherds were generally regarded as somewhat disreputable - they often did not attend all the sacred functions, they tended to work every day including the sabbath as the sheep need tending every day otherwise they get lost, injured or plain eaten by wild animals.

He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil,
For you are with me, your rod and your staff comfort me.

Note that in this idyllic pastoral scene with quiet waters (sheep are apparently not the best white water rafters in the animal kingdom!) there are still very dark places. However God is with us in these places - however the comfort found in the rod and staff are a bit odd to me - the rod and staff would have been used to prevent the sheep from wandering off too far and generally used to either prod or or use force to change the path they want to choose.

Whether David is a closet glutton for beatings, or if he is being reminded in the dark place that God is still watching his path and has not taken his eyes off his flock, I'll leave to you!

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows.

One of the key parts of life in the middle east is the offering of hospitality - and for God to prepare a meal for David in the presence of his enemies is showing that David's enemy is now God's enemy - David is under God's protection while he is in his house 

Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


This Psalm has been set to many tunes over the years, so even if you have never set foot in a church before you may have heard this psalm sung. Here it is as the theme tune from The Vicar of Dibley  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZN1oVir5A 

No comments:

Post a Comment