Monday 22 December 2014

Psalm 28 Throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Psalm 28

In this, another of David's Psalms, David is calling out to God. 
But if God remains silent David will be like those who go down to the pit - no longer able to worship God, totally beyond help.

"Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift my hands toward your most holy place."

If you recall some time ago in this blog we looked at Abraham - who negotiated with God to save the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, we get a similar feel here - "Do not drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil, who speak cordially with their neighbours but harbour malice in their hearts"

God is asked to pay them back for their works, giving them what they deserve.

The next bit is interesting - we looked at Psalm 19 recently and that Psalm says that the heavens show the works of God's hands, this Psalm carries on "Because they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD and what his hands have done, he will tear them down and never build them up again.

Those who claim Science and Religion are enemies (usually serious students of neither discipline) accuse the church of being opposed to the theory of evolution, for example, and keeping people in the dark and ignorance. In actual fact, the official teaching of the church is that we do not disagree with evolution as a concept (or at least most of us don't) - who is to say that Evolution is not God's chosen way for life? We object to theories of evolution that eliminate God and leave us alone in a forsaken universe that exists purely by chance.

I believe in the next bit - "Praise be to the LORD, for he has heard my cry for mercy.
The LORD is my strength and my shield, my heart trusts in him and he helps me.
My heart leaps for joy and with m song I praise him"

The LORD is the strength o his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.
Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever.

Echo of Psalm 23 here...

No comments:

Post a Comment