Sunday 28 December 2014

Psalm 30 A song for opening ceremonies

Psalm 30

In the books of Kings and Chronicles David plans to build a temple for God.
God sent word though the prophet that David was not to build the temple as he has been a man of war, but the temple would be built by David's son.

Only slightly disappointed, David gave thanks to God and set in place as many preparations as he could for the building and, it seems, consecration of the temple that Solomon would take 7 years to build (not Solomon on his own, you understand, I suspect that he merely took the credit, like Hadrian for his wall)

God has lifted David from the fields, battle fields, deserts, and the depths. Never letting David's enemies gloat over his downfall.
When David called on God he healed him and lifted him from the realm of the dead and spared him from death.

"Sing the praises of the LORD, you his faithful people; praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment , but his favour lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay through the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning"

The next bit of this Psalm seems interesting to me and a bit of a salutatory summary
"When I felt secure I said "I will never be shaken."
LORD, when you favoured me, you made my royal mountain stand firm; but when you hid your face, I was dismayed.

To you LORD I called; to the LORD I cried for mercy"

God turned David's wailing into dancing, removed his sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heard may sing your praises and not be silent. LORD my God I will praise you forever.  

For me it is a salutary lesson that I should not stop counting my blessings and that all I have ultimately is a gift from God.
This is a common theme in many places, not just in the Bible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment