Thursday 11 December 2014

Psalm 24 "It's no Psalm 23 is it?"

Psalm 24

I'm sure I've seen this Psalm described as a "Song of ascents" and would possibly have been written for the people to sing as they made their way to Jerusalem 3 times a year to visit the temple.

When I was young we used to sing a song inspired by this Psalm to the tune of Purcell's trumpet voluntary - it is a bit cheesy I know, but it is a good tune nonetheless - even if as a trombonist I want something more like the theme from I'm sorry I haven't a clue!

There is something quite amazing when we start - "The earth is the LORD's and everything in it, the world and all who live in it" - Wow, what a great gift we have from God.

I know that all too often we don't look after the world that we have been lent - for a short space of time at that. I think the fact that we are living on a borrowed world, that really does not belong to us means that we have an obligation to cherish and look after it and not leave it in a mess after we have gone.
Also we often do not recognise others as belonging to God as much as we do.

Those who worship God with clean hands and a pure heart are worthy to ascend the mountain of God and stand in the holy place- and these people will receive blessing and vindication from God.

I really love the last 3 verses of this Psalm - 
I've mentioned before that some time ago I did a pilgrimage to Walsingham in Norfolk to the shrine of our lady (personally the shrine did nothing for me and the main thing was the journey) however I can picture a band of weary pilgrims, having travelled for days and trudging up the last hill into Jerusalem shouting in celebration 

"Lift up your heads you gates, be lifted up you ancient doors that the king of glory may come in"

A second group shouting out - perhaps from inside? "Who is this King of glory?"

"The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle"

"Lift up your heads you gates, lift them up you ancient doors, that the king of glory may come in"

"Who is this king of glory?"

"The LORD almighty - he is the king of glory"

At this point would be a party, celebration, thanksgiving and re-union.



No comments:

Post a Comment