Sunday 21 December 2014

Psalm 27 You have 3 wishes

Psalm 27

As I write this it is the Sunday before Christmas and we are close to panto season.
Remember Aladdin? he meets a Genie (probably speaking like Robin Williams) who grants him 3 wishes. 
In this Psalm, David would have 2 that he did not actually want.

I bet you thought I'd lost track with the title of this post for a moment - go on - admit it!

With God as David's light and salvation he has no need to fear mere people. With God as David's stronghold he need fear for nothing.

When enemies advance to devour David they will stumble against the strength of God.

The next bit of this Psalm is what struck me - 

One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek:  That I might dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and seek him in his temple.

Three wishes indeed - Who needs that many?

There was a bit in Psalm 23 where God acts as David's host and protector, this theme is carried forward here.

David's faith in God is unshakable - even if his own parents disown him, God will never do this.

The Psalm ends with a real faith statement 

I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

Wait for the LORD: be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Sometimes when God seems a long way off please do not despair, I've sometimes struggled and God has seemed a long way off. I found that David was right - I did see the goodness of God in my life.

Don't forget to look for the Goodness of God - if you don't look how do you expect to see? 

Be strong, take heart, wait for God 
It is nearly Christmas a time where heaven and earth came close enough for angel song to be heard.


No comments:

Post a Comment